Neverwinter Nights 2

Almost everything goes in here

Neverwinter Nights 2

Postby ThePumaman on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:16 am

Alright buckos, we've talked about it now lets commit to something.

Here's the game in question:

It looks good, huh? Tantalizing, even. Why, I'll bet you even want to go out and
buy it right now!

But wait, you say. Isn't this one of your silly game schemes that we all buy into and leave with Dungeon Siege 2? No! I say, Neverwinter Nights 2 is different! It has patches! It promises to bond the party together and unite us as friends!

But it's still $30! you say, with tears forming in your eyes. Fret not, mon ami, for I promise fun will be had with that $30! I mean consider what that money means today, a fillup at the gas tank? Three dinners? Most of those quarters you've been saving for who knows how long?

I say it's worth it, my friends. Lets do this. This is the new getting-together-for-D&D, this is our hope of getting together for one night a week (if we can schedule it!) and doing what we all love to do: play an imaginary game based on some ruleset that has probably been obsoleted but still promises a good time. Lets do this, if not for the sake of ourselves, then for the sake of the group as a whole.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Re: Neverwinter Nights 2

Postby Michi on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:09 am

I GUESS.

But I still wanna play WoW again someday soon. :(
Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Postby Overload on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 am

I am installing it right now. This thing is 7 CDs!
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nilliac on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:38 am

I shall play too! I think I'd like to start out as a Sorcerer and then eventually take the Eldritch Knight prestige class.
Nilliac
Super Duper Poster

Postby Overload on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:39 am

I'm not sure what class to be.

I usually really like spellcasters. Red Dragon Disciple seems really cool and I might do that, but it would force me to be a Sorcerer which I've done lots of times before.

I like the idea of being a divine spellcaster, which I have never done before. Should I go cleric to Warpriest? The other thing I am considering is Wizard to Palemaster. I've never played a Wizard before so that could be a fun change.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Overload on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:48 am

Right now my top choice is Cleric to Warpriest.

But I also really like the red dragon disciple! I CAN'T DECIDE.

Also, don't install this and then crank up everything to max thinking that your new machines can run it. You will be disappointed. :( I cranked everything to max and even with my 8800GTX it was pushing a solid 20fps outside. I turned off water reflection and refraction and far shadows and it's up to 40-50.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:28 pm

No one wants to play Titan Quest?

But for the record, I'd totaly make a Bard or a Rogue.

I never liked that NWN always devolved into 'fight fight fight fight' "Okay guys, let's rest for the 'day' so we're supercharges again." Rinse, repeat.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Could you elaborate? I am pretty sure NWN's resting was just sitting down for 6 seconds. So in between every couple fights you would just sit down to get your spells back. It was like drinking in WoW but didn't take as long.

Is that the thing you didn't like, or was it that our games always seemed to devolve in to everyone killing every single civilian they could find and then dying to the guards?

Oh, and the reason I'm interested in NWN2 as opposed to Titan Quest is that NWN2 is more of a tactical game. I want to play a game where I have to think a little more about my abilities and where strategy is important. Basically I want WoW instances without all of the annoyances that MMOs have. :(
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dyluck on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Also, I don't quite remember, but wasn't NwN2 a little stricter with when and where you can rest, making it less "charge in, rest, repeat?"
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby Dyluck on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Well count me totally in for this thang. If not for starting the adventure, maybe just for testing character ideas - I'm gone for most of Friday evening, but what about Saturday (day and night)?

Oh yeah, and I'm all over the Frenzied Berserker.
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby Pebby on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm

I might be able to play Sat. morning/afternoon.

What I mean by 'rest, repeat' is that, since D&D classes have different needs for resting (wizards get less and less useful without resting) and many powers are based on a per-day thing, it was always weird to me that I could recharge my character by resting. It's sort of the 'save anywhere' conundrum... I don't know whether I should be utterly scared, pushing F5 all the time or forgetting about it then suffering. Same feeling, that's all. Edit: This is why I had trouble playing Morrowind.

I think that Titan Quest is tactical, as is Diablo 2, as is NWN. The former 2 just involve more action/reflex-based tacts like kiting/positioning, and NWN was more about the approach and carefully laid out moves. They're both fun to me. ;)

In any case, I'M IN! Any game with character creation with a purpose turns my defenses to mush... you know that. :(
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:26 pm

Problem: A quick Google search is telling me that the singleplayer campaign is limited to 4 human players. We need to test this.

We could still play third party modules.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Overload wrote:Problem: A quick Google search is telling me that the singleplayer campaign is limited to 4 human players. We need to test this.

We could still play third party modules.

Lame. Also http://geek.pandemonium.de/2006/11/13/n ... -2-review/ - scroll down to the multiplayer section. Yuck.

It does look like 4 is the max. http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... =0#5359020
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby ThePumaman on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:42 pm

So I found this site that has some downloadable modules for 5-10 players. There's not a lot on there and it's looking like we'd have better luck with the persistant servers, but at that point we might as well be playing an MMO :-/
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Michi on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Someone help out the person that's never even touched this game before plz. :(
Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Next

Return to General Discussion