Lets talk about Hellgate: London

Almost everything goes in here

Lets talk about Hellgate: London

Postby ThePumaman on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 pm

To properly ignite the boards on this gray Tuesday, lets start talking about Hellgate: London. The fine folks at Something Awful have made a wonderful thread detailing this game so I'll let you check that out for...well...details I guess.

Greg last night psyched me up (I won't say how) about this game so I'd like to get some dialog going and see just who is going to buy this. I've been burned before on games like this (Dungeon Siege 2, I'm looking at you) so I'm a bit weary about taking another dive into the Diablo 2-esque realm. However this one shows some promise and it's pretty.

So...what cha'll think?
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:25 pm

I'm getting it tomorrow. I enjoyed the demo enough to try it out multiplayer. It's not the second coming of Jesus but it's decently fun. Cailin might play too.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:21 pm

I think there are too many games out right now! I downloaded the demo to try out at home though - if it's fun, I'll play with you guys. Or just show me the game when you get it! I liked playing Diablo 2 together.

Edit: The visuals and story of Hellgate didn't interest me very much, but I've been patiently awaiting The Witcher which lacks multiplayer but seems much cooler conceptually. Plus it's from Poland! Hooray!
Last edited by Pebby on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Dyluck on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:38 pm

Well I really like what I've heard. I am also happy to say that it runs (and quite decently) on my system. The classes all seem pretty cool, though I had a blast with the guns. Get it? Blast? Anyway, I should have the game by this weekend. I am trying to find out if you can get a rocket launcher. I know you can get a little rocket pistol, but I don't know if there are many big, slow weapons.

Also, does anyone know how many people you can have together at once? I've read stuff about group limits, but they compare a lot of the game to MMOs and talk about instances and whatnot, so I'm still a little confused about how mulitplayer really works.

And if it doesn't work out, we can just fire up Dungeon Siege 1 and take shifts leading the group around.
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:47 pm

It's like an MMORPG but everywhere there is monsters is instanced. The "hubs" will have tons of people in them like a city in WoW. You can make guilds and there will be an auction hall patched in shortly after launch.

But it plays a lot more like D2. It's a very weird cross between the two.

I'm not sure what the group size limit is. A conservative estimate would be 5.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:58 pm

I don't like all the scary-sounding problems and mentions of 'unfinished' or 'unpolished' being reported by peeps in that SA thread. I'll wait to see what you guys say, though I'm a sucker for some co-op.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Pebby wrote:I don't like all the scary-sounding problems and mentions of 'unfinished' or 'unpolished' being reported by peeps in that SA thread. I'll wait to see what you guys say, though I'm a sucker for some co-op.

The game isn't 100% polished. But it's fun despite that fact. If it weren't for the idea of coop with you guys I probably wouldn't play it. There are FAR better single player experiences coming up (CoD4, Crysis) - however, I am also a sucker for getting imaginary items that have bigger numbers than the current imaginary items I have. Extra bonus if the name of the item is in a special color!
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Extra extra bonus for funny-named items!

God I miss Diablo 2. Okay, I think I'm sold on tryin' it. We should try to play through together, at least once!
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Dyluck on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:58 pm

It is done.
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby Pebby on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Dibs on engineer! Okay, okay, I'll take evoker if someone else is dying to play it.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Dyluck on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:30 pm

I was curious about what kind of minions the Engineer and Summoner get. I finally found some decent videos of specific powers for most of the classes on YouTube. Building freaky robot buddies sounds pretty sweet, though I think I want to go with Marksman. I know Greg was liking the guns, and maybe leaning towards that, but I know he won't be able to resist playing Summoner once he sees this.
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby e3_Jeb on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Oo ooo Me too! I'm interested in a co-op game.. It runs quite well (although it takes a long time for me to move between hubs), and the gameplay seems pretty enjoyable. I've got my gripes about the art direction and some little aspects of the game, but getting Wart's leg in the demo after hearing that you guys wanted to try it out at the party, pretty much sold me on the whole thing.
The Token Bi-Racial Kid...
e3_Jeb
Godlike!

Re: Lets talk about Hellgate: London

Postby Michi on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:35 am

ThePumaman wrote:Greg last night psyched me up (I won't say how)

Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Postby Pebby on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:33 am

Those Youtube videos look... dark. I had to crank my monitor up all the way just to see them, and that was still barely. That said, I hope to pick this game up for some weekend fun, jobs permitting.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Pebby on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 pm

Behold, Sausage, the mohawked evoker. So I finally get to be a narcissist...

P.S. I think we should do food names again.
Pebby
Godlike!

Next

Return to General Discussion