House Rule Proposal: Critical Hits

Forum for our weekly D&D games

House Rule Proposal: Critical Hits

Postby Overload on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Critical hits are cool. You get to do a lot of damage.

However, I think it's missing a little flair that we have had in previous campaigns which is location-specific crits.

The table below is from the book that outlined Lingering Injuries. It was presented as a possible addendum to those injuries that made them even nastier. I thought that was going a little far for the injuries but I still liked the idea of them. That's when I thought of the idea of modifying this table a bit and using it for critical hits.

critlocations.png
critlocations.png (32.74 KB) Viewed 665 times

The basic idea would be that when you score a critical hit, you either roll a die to see what body part you crippled, OR if your flavor description of the attack specified a body part, then that part is crippled. The effect would last until the end of the encounter. This is a two-way street of course; these effects can happen to your as well if a monster lands a crit. And at my discretion I may choose a specific body part based on the attack (a will attack crit would almost always cripple the head for example.)

I was thinking that there could also be a way to remove these effects mid-battle with a heal check. Something like a standard action heal against DC 15?

What are your thoughts? Like? Dislike?
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to D&D