Session Review 2: Entering the Moathouse

Forum for our weekly D&D games

Session Review 2: Entering the Moathouse

Postby Overload on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Session Date: 9/6/2008
After a half day's travel by horseback, the party came within sight of the old moathouse. Not knowing what lies ahead, they tied up their horses and closed the remaining distance on foot. They took some time looking around to see what they could learn, and then decided to head inside.

As they approached the decrepit drawbridge, a giant frog leaped out from the reeds in the moat and attacked Deomin! As the party swiftly moved in position to fight the beast, it jumped back in to the moat. Mere seconds later, a thick sticky tongue shot out from under the water, wrapping around Deomin. As the tongue pulled him towards the water with amazing strength, the quick thinking Deomin activated the magic in his boots, causing him to step on to the water without falling in.

The most bizarre tug-of-war followed. Deomin was struggling to return to the shore while the frog was trying with all its might to pull him under. Meanwhile, the rest of the party attempted to sever the tongue with attacks from the shore. Unfortunately before they were able to so, a mighty tug knocked Deomin off his feet! As he fell to the surface of the water, the frog leaped up from below, swallowing Deomin whole!

The time for caution was over. Arora took in a large breath and jumped in to the water, plate armor and all, to confront the frog. Following her lead, Aurum and Questin also dove in to the water. It was hard to see and movement was difficult but the drive to save their friend filled them with the energy they needed. While Arora and Questin stabbed and smashed the frog, Aurum griped its slimy mouth forcing it wide open. Clearly panicked, the frog let out a frightening belch and with it came Deomin, covered in slime. In the confusion, the frog managed to swim away in to the murky water.

Arath and Melek helped the wet adventurers out of the water and Arath used his magic to help clean and dry their clothing. After several minutes of excited discussion about the creature, they remembered the task at hand and decided to press on.

[More later]

Session Date: 9/10/2008

Session Date: 9/11/2008
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Session Review 2: Entering the Moathouse

Postby GoldenHudge on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 am

Hello all. Good D&D continues on a weekly basis. The toussle we got ourselves into seems pretty epic and I think we handled our biz pretty well. We will see how it ends this week cuz at 2:00 AM its hard to close things out when there is work to be done next morning. We led the session off talking about some really interesting rules that have or will be integrated into the campaign and discussed alot of the great new content that is being released by WoTC. On this note do i post primarily. Greg and I have tentatively decided to place our campaign in the forgotten realms and I have been doing a bit of research to find a suitable context for our campaign in the world. I hope this will help people flesh out their histories and may introduce a few regional plotlines into the weave of the local story. Nothing is final and I would love input and suggestions from other people if others are interested in participating in placement. The region I have tentatively identified is South of Narfell and northeast of Impiltur. On the southern end of the Giantspire mountains is where the adventure could have started. From here a journey through the forest to the southwest could have taken us towards the plains south of the Great Dale, or if we decide to go northeast the setting can be more forrested in Dunwood. The landscape is diverse enough here to allow us to easily slip into any sort of terrain setting and there are a few dynamics in the region that could be fun. First, the Kingdom of Impiltur is one that has become destabilized by the breakdown of the magical weave that extends across faerun. This has allowed daemons to roam much more freely here than in other parts of the land. We have already fought some daemons and seem to be up against some evil cleric-guys so the source of evil might be traced back here. In addition, the forrest of Dunwood is haunted by daemons(any connection?). Secondly, Narfell to the north has one of the coolest cities ideas ive ever read about. During the winter the city of Bildoobaris is a completely abandonded icy plain but during the summer months it swells to a city of 30,000 people! With such extreeme migrations happening every year, the place sounds completely fresh and dynamic. In terms of character stuff our boy Pod the corsair has a possible origin on the Sea of Stars to the south which has multiple rivers extending all the way into Dunwood. Melec, a tiefling, is a bit of an uncommon race in many parts of the land, but the kindom of Thay has a sizeable minority of tieflings (about %30) and is a place goint through some pretty huge conflicts right now. Deomin would definitely be from the Northern regions of the map where the Frozen Garden would be located. Arora, who has a military background, could be from Veltalar, south in Aglarond. This is a City of 70,000 and its not too far away. Other than Waterdeep and Luskan (famously huge cities) i have yet to find another city that large...civilization galore. Mal and Rogan havent been too specific about their backgrounds so theve got tons of options. Arath might be kinda sad cuz the region is a little sparse on books, but from the looks of it hes packed away enough to keep him busy for a while. Aurum's back story is in the works and should be written in another week or 2 for ppl who arent sick of mah writin'. I want to reiterate that this is only a suggestion for placement and all the story hooks i just wrote might be crap compared to what you have in mind. No offense taken about usin this stuff, but please check the hate if you arent offering other possibilities. Lets keep rollin dem dice. Hudge out.
GoldenHudge
Beginner

Re: Session Review 2: Entering the Moathouse

Postby GoldenHudge on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:02 am

Another session chock full of plot and action. First, a special thanks to Dan for arrivin on time and to the 5 doughnuts that I ate for breakfast for being so delicious. Doughnuts! Doughnuts are delicious. We seem to be making a habit of starting out sessions in the middle of combat and to be honest, i didnt know how things were going to turn out this time. The huge grell floating above the 5 of us on a 15ft wide wooden platform a hundred feet down a freezing chasm was extra menacing considering the circumstances. Due to certain comments by people who prefer reading formatted posts i will now start a new paragraph.
Escaping the grell initially was, in my opinion, the most epic part of the encounter today. Aurora got snatched by the grell for the first time and took a ride before Melec was able to pull the platform up level to its flight giving Aurum the chance to rip the flying dwarf from the sticky tentacles. A pretty signature move for the dragonborn but the unconsidered consequences took a small toll on the party as the platform went crazy from the tug-of-war with the grell. Arath unfortunately took a spill over the edge as a result and was out of the picture for the rest of the escape.
Due to some quick thinking and necessary healing, Arath was located and patched together at the bottom of the chasm where arcane symbols and freezing cold dominated the battlefield. This was the setting for our encounter with Festrath the mad cleric who, from all appearances, had been running the show here at the moathouse for long enough to bring the coo-coo out of his clock.
I think we were pretty fortunate with how this fight played out. Most importantly the enemies rolled significantly below average, but this was compounded by Arora's gamble to stay in the tentacles of the grell and fight with her melee attacks. Matching her up with the grell was great. The fact that she hung in there prevented the grell from going after anyone else, and her thick armor was dynamite protection against the grell's bite attacks. When it comes to bringing the thing down the award definitely belongs to Melec. In the end the grell's body got melted like candle wax from the inside out. It got hit by so many hellish spells that it was smoking and charred by the time it finally toppled over.
In general i think its been cool that people arent so quick to try and deal damage every round. In this session alone people spent rounds: moving platforms, pulling people up off of ledges, throwing grappling hooks, pushing people off of ledges, and pulling grells down toward the floor. The other stuff thrown into the mix not only adds more flavor to the conflict but often provides better outcomes than simply shooting another arrow or throwing another magic missile.
Finally, a guy that i converted personally, Festrath. This guy was kind of a badass and i feel that concerning him, things could have turned out worse for us than they did. Other than Arath getting hit by a force blast and Deomin clumsily falling off a simple climb we beat the guy down pretty tenaciously. Festrath got dropped to the ground by Aurum twice, once when he got pushed off his initial perch and later when he got plucked out of midair due to some Melec/Aurum coordination. The initial melee damage put on him was augmented by alot of Arath and Melec ranged combos and in the end thats what brought him down. He died like a broken jack-in-the-box
Where to next is a bit of a question. There is some more investigation that needs to happen in the moathouse, and after that we need to go report back to hommlet, but there are several leads that we can follow up after that. The journal of Geynor Tom spoke of a creature, a leader, and a millhouse and by my count we've looked into two out of three of those things. Our latest finding also speaks of places yet undiscovered. The fire vs water temple comment was interesting and given the amount of water all over the place im starting to thing that there might be another firey place somewhere filled with these guys. So lots of fun today and the adventure marches on.
GoldenHudge
Beginner

Return to D&D