Session Review 1: Welcome to Hommlet

Forum for our weekly D&D games

Session Review 1: Welcome to Hommlet

Postby Overload on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Session Date: 9/3/2008

The party arrived in Hommlet after being on the road for 2 weeks. Upon arrival they decided to adopt a cover story that they are potential investors looking to expand Hommlet and are interested in surveying the surrounding environs.

They met Rufus, one of the leaders of the town and was referred to Elmo, the captain of the guard. They learned of some notable locations outside of town: The ruined and deserted moathouse to the East, the haunted town of Nulb (which Elmo strongly discouraged visiting) and the ruins of the old Temple of Elemental Evil, which is now inhabited by hobgoblins.

After speaking with Elmo, a man walked up to the group's table asking questions. He told them he was an adventurer and had explored the areas nearby and that there wasn't really anything of interest. He discouraged the party from vising the moathouse and instead said that they ought to check out the old Temple ruins. The more insightful members of the group sensed deception from the man named Johnny and decided to eavesdrop on his conversation with the barkeep after he went away. Deomin was able to use his keen ranger senses to pick up a few scraps of the conversation. From the sounds of it, Johnny was specifically trying to keep the group from heading to the moathouse!

After spending the night at the Inn the group decided to check out the moathouse, but made special effort to make the barkeep think that they are leaving to check out the old Temple ruins.

On the way to the moathouse, Arora befriended a passing depressed halfling named Questin, who gladly joined up with them when Arora offered. The rest of the party was pretty unhappy with Arora's decision to trust a random stranger on the road, but Arora insisted.

After a half day's travel by horseback, the party came within sight of the old moathouse...
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Session Review 9/3/2008: Welcome to Hommlet

Postby Nilliac on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:12 pm

This session was really fun. You're so awesome Greg!I like the idea of having one of these threads every week, to remember what we did! Also your writing is lovely.
Nilliac
Super Duper Poster

Postby GoldenHudge on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 am

Really great session on Wednesday! I think that the story is really gettin better as our characters have more conversations and disagreements. Though my 2 boys were none too happy about the Questin recruitment, I thought it was a great play for loudmouth preachy Aurora. The missionary bit is real entertaining and if we cant conquer this temple by hammer and sword, its looking like a culture war might be a viable alternative. Dan was a superman at point for our whole land speculator/investor ruse and I think it will serve us in preventing some suspicion for our presence in Hommlet. As our unoficial group treasurer, Aurum Gulth would like to report that last session we spent more than 2000 gp leaving us with roughly 400 gp of assests, half in magic components. Calculated for inflation thats equivalent to spending about 3 years of my current salary at Buckelew in about 1.5 weeks. Not that it was a bad move but sitting in my new Donald Trump office chair that i got at staples today I would like to reccomend mass looting and plundering of wherever we go next. Im really stoke for all that we are up to and if a weekend session can happen im totally down, otherwise to be continued on thursday which will be our new experimental time.
GoldenHudge
Beginner

Postby Dyluck on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:14 am

I was feeling like MB didn't help much with that dragon last night, but the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I was able to take the brunt of a couple of those attacks. A few group members got low enough that if he had ignored me, we would have been in serious trouble. Also, that was some nice champagne!
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby Nilliac on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:26 pm

After that last fight, I'm thinking Arora needs some sort of ranged attack... maybe a crossbow or something. Anything. Sorry I couldn't stay conscious enough for the EPIC return of the hippogryph!!

Also yes HOORAY CHAMPAGNE!
Nilliac
Super Duper Poster

Postby GoldenHudge on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 pm

I gotta say. Not dissappointed with our last sesh. The frog encounter, which was somewhat overshadowed by the dragon encounter, I actually liked more than fighting the dragon. That said i REALLY liked fighting a dragon. The combo of being partly eaten and using a nearly-forgotten magic item was too much of a pump up and i think the real time artistic work of Cailin took it to the next level. I guess our party members know now that Questin insnt worthless but whether or not he can keep his mouth shut, or if he needs it shut for him, remains to be seen. And Deodim...what can i say...youre gonna be hard pressed to find a happier elf. I promise the Deodim back story will be available for everyone who is interested to read by this weeks session which may explain some stuff and definitely make things richer in our role playing. Props to Melec for being a magic user and getting the shit kicked out of him. Hes still standing. As I recall, we havent had someone drop since the brief fall of Aurora against the demons outside the tunnels. 6 encounters is a pretty good streak by my count and I hope I didnt just jinx us. Keep rollin.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail119.html
Last edited by GoldenHudge on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenHudge
Beginner

Postby Nilliac on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:14 am

"Who knew skeletons could be so much trouble?" Arora smiled pushing aside the scattered remains of one particularly large (previously animated) skeleton. She looked at Deomin appreciatively. "That was incredible, I haven't met to many non-armored folks who can take so much punishment and bounce back so readily as you did." She turned to the corpse of the mysterious woman, her eyes flickering to the remaining objects which Arath appeared to be studying. "Dark...whatever this was about it obviously wasn't in the best interests of Hommlet" she muttered disapprovingly, taking a moment to flex a particularly sore arm muscle before neatening a few strands of hair which had fallen out of place previously. She scowled a little at the mess of blood, sinew, flesh and bone that now littered the dungeon floor. "Good work, everyone."
Nilliac
Super Duper Poster

Postby GoldenHudge on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 am

Nice role-playing post Cailin. I think our ever-changing group was really in form tonight. We have definitely established a beach-head in this moathouse and have picked up some pretty suspicious looking equiment to corroberate our claims about the rise of evil near Hommlet. Deomin was especially glad to have his boy Melek back in biz and though I was sad to let Aurum go for a sesh Im a big fan of Old Man Rogan. In just one sesh I learned a few cool new things to do with a warlord. In addition, we found out why Rogans 10 men died and he walked out alive from the way he was able survive a round inside an iron maiden and still finnish the fight. Hardcore. Huge welcome to Rob who brought some flair to our campaign with his Scarlet Pirate character Pod. As my #1 draft pick for the 2008 season the franchise is expecting great things from him. In some fights we roll a little below average but tonight everyone was hot, even the baddies. We beat ourselves down a few times with high enemy attack rolls, but no one dropped which was good. On our side, props to Cailin on the 20 damage attack of opportunity, Dan for the 30 point vaporization of the lead Gnoll, and a little credit for Deomin at blowing the cieling off his damage output with a *45. The asterix on the 45 was because Rogan pumped him up a bit for the hit and it probly did less actual damage considering the ghostie's damage resist. Cailin wanted the breakdown so here it is.
10 Axe
7 Longsword
8 Hunters Quarry
8 2x Strength Damage(Two Fanged Strike)
2 Magic Enhancement Bounus
2 Wisdom Bonus(Two Fanged Strike)
4 Furious Smash Warlord Bonus(Rogan)
4 Crit roll on 1 Magic Weapon
Total: 45 Damage
GoldenHudge
Beginner

Return to D&D