Team Fortress 2 Beta LAN - Sep 22nd at apartment 110

All things related to LAN parties goes here.

Postby Overload on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Well, it's a relatively slow processor for being dual core, it has no monitor, uses two 512mb sticks of ram so you can't upgrade easily and has a really crappy video card.

However, it would still play everything better than your current machine! Even if you fixed those issues though, it would be less than a thousand. I think you can get a really good machine for $700.

Edit: Also, ORANGE BOX HAS BEEN PREORDERED. That "free" Popcap game it comes with is actually a lot of fun too. Except that it's a 10 level demo but pretends to be a full product.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Well, my current machine plays everything to my liking just fine, is easy to transport, and is rock-solid with stability. Most importantly, spending 700 dollars for something I barely have any time for (gaming, PC gaming) is hard to justify, especially when I just spent 575 dollars on turntables. Amazing that a record playing thing that just spins to play music costs more than a computer.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Pebby wrote:Well, my current machine plays everything to my liking just fine

*cough*SplintercellUnrealtournament3QuakewarsRainbowsixvegas*cough*

I wish we could Splinter Cell at lans. :(
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:43 pm

Overload wrote:
Pebby wrote:Well, my current machine plays everything to my liking just fine

*cough*SplintercellUnrealtournament3QuakewarsRainbowsixvegas*cough*

I wish we could Splinter Cell at lans. :(

Oh yeah, I forgot about Splinter Cell. Maybe I should just buy an AGP card with Pixel Shader 3, drill a hole in my case, and keep a power supply around in case my computer can't handle it. Bah! Even the new Shuttles only have 300W power supplies, and I have no idea what the power draw of a decent video card is these days. I remember when Ken got a 400W at one point, a while ago, and we were all laughing, wondering what he was going to do with all that power.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby ThePumaman on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:08 pm

Overload wrote:...and has a really crappy video card.

A GeForce 8300GS? I mean, it's no 8800 but I'd hardly say it's crappy. It's more mid-grade.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Pebby on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:15 pm

ThePumaman wrote:

A GeForce 8300GS? I mean, it's no 8800 but I'd hardly say it's crappy. It's more mid-grade.

It was intended to be a 'DX10-grade' low-end card.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37205

That may make it better than or on par with a mid-grade DX9 card, I could imagine. Everything's relative!
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby e3_Jeb on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:28 pm

Well if anyone's interested in buying a computer (or anything really) I recommend checking out this site: http://www.xpbargains.com

and my personal recommendation on a computerwould be from the Dell Vostro line (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&oc=brpc4gv). They're phasing out some of the inspiron, dimension, and latitudes and bringing in Vostros for cheap. Marie and I just bought one for her and it runs everything we've tried thus far at max settings on 1280x800 (including ET:QW).
The Token Bi-Racial Kid...
e3_Jeb
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:55 pm

ThePumaman wrote:

nVidia has never made an x300 or x200 card worth spending money on. It's always the budget card they offer to people who aren't planning on actually gaming. Now, perhaps with the 8300 they did something they've never done before, but the 8600 already performs on par with a 7800, meaning the 8300 must be less, probably more like a 7600 which is the same as a 6900. So basically you're getting the performance of a card two generations old. This is just educated guess work based on their history because I couldn't find any benchmarks in my 2 minutes of looking.

Edit: Benchmarks!

It doesn't actually have the 8300, but it has the 8500 at fourth from the bottom. The 8300 is going to be slower than an 8500. And my guess was off; the 8500 is almost as slow as a 7300, which are both slower than even every 6000 series released. Ouch!
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Overload on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 pm

Pebby wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about Splinter Cell. Maybe I should just buy an AGP card with Pixel Shader 3, drill a hole in my case, and keep a power supply around in case my computer can't handle it. Bah! Even the new Shuttles only have 300W power supplies, and I have no idea what the power draw of a decent video card is these days. I remember when Ken got a 400W at one point, a while ago, and we were all laughing, wondering what he was going to do with all that power.

The results don't look promising. :(
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24 am

Overload wrote:
Pebby wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about Splinter Cell. Maybe I should just buy an AGP card with Pixel Shader 3, drill a hole in my case, and keep a power supply around in case my computer can't handle it. Bah! Even the new Shuttles only have 300W power supplies, and I have no idea what the power draw of a decent video card is these days. I remember when Ken got a 400W at one point, a while ago, and we were all laughing, wondering what he was going to do with all that power.

The results don't look promising. :(

It gets even worse

See, way way down there, the 9600 XT? One of the lowest power requirement video cards on the chart.

The best I've seen for a replacement (as far as inexpensive and AGP is concerned) is the 1650 (double the power requirements), and people are saying that it's slower than the 9600XT. Grah! At 75 bucks it might be worth a shot, though, and I have an extra power supply I can connect externally if I'm so inclined.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:41 am

I have a maybe-broken 6800 AGP in my closet. I'm not sure which 6800 it is so it ranges from 3/2 the power to double the power of your current card, so it'd be a good way to see if your PSU can handle that much power.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby e3_Jeb on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Well if you’re looking to extend the life of your system on the cheap you’ll find a handful of AGP cards that support Shader 3.0 and will net you a decent amount of time for your dollar. The important thing to look at is the power of your processor as many games are bottlenecked by the CPU in which case a cheaper card that caps at the same point will be the best buy. Check out these two articles (if you haven’t already):

Part 1 –
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/10/agp-platform-analysis/

Part 2 –
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/01/agp-platform-analysis/

If you’ve the CPU the ATI 1950 XT seems to be a good bet, but it’s big and power hungry. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102093
119 with a $20 coupon code: EMC907VGA10 that expires today

[/i]Otherwise the ATI 1650 XT should get another year or so. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102093

Also there is one card (ATI) which might make for a passable midrange dx10 card. It benchmarks at the same level as the 1650 XT, and the 7600 GT but is dx10. Anyways I’ve been looking at cards recently so I wanted to weigh in too.
The Token Bi-Racial Kid...
e3_Jeb
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:42 pm

His main limitation is not the fact that he's on AGP, but the fact that he's in a shuttle case, so power consumption and heat generation are the primary concerns. Unfortunately the power consumption on most modern cards are through the roof compared to what he runs now.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:47 pm

According to this page: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

I could get away with trying your 6800, or even that 1650 ATI card I was looking at. Heat isn't too much of a problem in there, these days, as I run the thing's fan at about 10% most of the time anyway.
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:10 pm

The new Steam community is really damn cool. Plus word is they're adding achievements as well. Hot.

Also, if TF2 doesn't unlock by 5:30 sharp I think I might die.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to LAN Parties