Announcing my LAN availability

All things related to LAN parties goes here.

Announcing my LAN availability

Postby Zer0Ry0k0 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:10 pm

So now that my life has changed quite a bit, and I actuially get to see my friends occasionally now, I would love to get to a LAN once in a while. The only problem I see here tho is that you people usually only have about a weeks notice because you guys all have weekends off, which is not the case for me. If I get one weekened day off that's cool, but I prefer to have 2 days off in a row, so I take em where I get em.
I can totally get one weekend off for a specific event, but I need plenty of advance notice to be able to attend.

Pros:
My person being around
Random funny things that happen
Computer setup that can be placed basically anywhere

Cons:
I have a bicycle as my only transportation
Need at least 2 weeks notice to request time off from work
Need to eat lots of food all of the time
Zer0Ry0k0
Beginner

Postby Overload on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am

I nominate this post for post of the month, for including pros and cons of why we should invite you.
Last edited by Overload on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pebby on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:26 am

I vote not to invite him, since he will eat us when we run out of food.

From where do you need transportation? Some of us drive a loooong way anyway.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and die. -- Mel Brooks
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Zer0Ry0k0 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:14 am

I live in Novato and am about to move, so I can't tell you exactialy where, just Novato.

If you know of some good delivery chinese food I'll be fine with the food =P
but I am also not against cooking, as some may remember.
Zer0Ry0k0
Beginner

Postby ThePumaman on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 am

Or shirtlessness, for that matter :D

What kind of machine are you running nowadays?
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Zer0Ry0k0 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:35 am

Link Deleted

Tell me if this link needs a login or dosen't work or whatever.
Last edited by Zer0Ry0k0 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zer0Ry0k0
Beginner

Postby ThePumaman on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:41 am

It needs a login and the last time I signed up for poon tang I got roped into 7 years of marriage.

Never again.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Michi on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:52 am

ThePumaman wrote:It needs a login and the last time I signed up for poon tang I got roped into 7 years of marriage.

Never again.

dot dot dot
Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Postby Pebby on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:27 am

Since the link isn't working, I'm guessing his computer is something like this

http://www.compubeaver.com
Pebby
Godlike!

Postby Zer0Ry0k0 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:17 am

I made that last post while I was leaving for work and was trying to do it the easy way. But I guess I will have to compile a condensed version of my thread here.
I am Lord of the Sandwich

Lord of the Sandwich wrote:[ Post date 1-29-06]
My Computer:

LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D A good foundation for it all
Athlon64 3000+ (just needed something to run, will upgrade soon) w/ OEM Fan
1GB not name brand RAM, If I remember correctly it's timing is 2-3-2 which I figured was great considering some corsair was 2-5-4
e-GeForce 6600 GT
Rosewill 500w PSU
160Gb SATA This should be my main drive, but it's storage currently
60Gb + 80Gb + 120Gb + 300Gb IDE
16-17" Monitor someone gave me
MICRO innovations Generic Black keyboard (love it, <$10) *THEY DON'T MAKE IT ANYMORE!!* and added stupid keys
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse Currently have it set with 6x4.5g 2x1.7g weights, think I'm going to change it to 7x4.5g and 1x1.7g
ALLSOP Mousepad It's nice to be free
LTB 5.1 Headset Having surround sound on your head is simply amazing.

Basically I was going for a High Mid-Range or Low High-Range computer when I bought everything. Total cost for the upgrade was around $600-700 early/mid last year.
The computer is good, but certianly not great. What I believe really helps is the fact that I have good inputs. The mouse is fucking great, the mousepad is verry wide and the keyboard is super-standard (although I dropped it a couple times really hard last month, I think it's time to get a replacement now)

{CCGG}Cesil wrote:[ Post date 1-30-06]
I was looking at getting the LTB 5.1 Headset.

Lord of the Sandwich wrote:[ Post date 1-31-06]
I was verry confused about the different products that LTB has to offer. I can't help you with the 64bit info, but here's what I went through. I was unsure if the one that comes with an amp would be able to connect to my soundcard. It talks about it using an audio coax... this computer has ports for 7.1 and SPDIF in/out (which I just noticed while wrighting this and I think that's what it was asking for). I know for sure that my older computer has the ports, but obviously I'm not wanting to play games on the older computer. Anywho, it's $180 for the whole setup and the ones that I got were $70.

One bad thing about them... It uses USB power, and when there is low/no sound comming through you can hear all of the whirring and buzzing of power getting used throughout the system. Simple fix for it is get an external power adapter which they sell for $6.
I don't know if the purely USB ones (with the audio proscessor on the cable) will do the same thing, and if they do there will be no way to use the external power source because there is only one plug. I hope for everyone that gets them that it's fine beacuse it's a nice idea to be able to go to anyones laptop and plug in portable 5.1.

The other thing, less bad for movies, more bad for CS.
The rear chanel is sent through the bass speakers. When watching a movie it's perfectly fine, because you have the sounds moving all around you the whole time. When playing CS and someone comes up behind me with a knife out... it just sounds like static-ly muffled audio, and then I'm dead. This is exactially why, if you watch me play, I am moving my vision left and right constantly to make sure nothing is comming up from behind me, at least it will be to one of my sides at some instant when "looking" around.
I don't see how they would have improved on this without (1)getting rid of the bass and just having another mid range in it's place, or (2)making the bass be a 4th speaker inside the housing, which would make it considerablly larger when it's obvious they were trying to make it more normal sized (especially compared to the Zalmans)

All in all, I love them, and the idea of going back to stereo headsets is dissapointing to say the least. And once I order the external power adapter everything will be happy-er once again.
Last edited by Zer0Ry0k0 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zer0Ry0k0
Beginner

Postby Zer0Ry0k0 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 am

big wrote:[ Post date 1-29-06]
If I am reading right please get a new monitor for gods sake.

Yes, I know... this is an upgrade from what I've been using for the last three years tho. 16" viewable CRT is better than 14.1" viewable cheapo LCD with .27 sized pixils and a refresh rate of 25-28ms (paid $250 for it when LCDs first came out). But back then it was nessicary beacuse my desk was too small to hold two monitors and two sets of keyboard and two mice otherwise(the only KVM switches I saw back then were $100+. Got this one for $25, and then two days later I saw one that had audio ports also for $30).

Lord of the Sandwich wrote:[ Post date 3-26-07]
Well, I finally did it. I got a new monitor yesterday morning before I went to sleep. Tracking info says it will be here Thurs 3/29/07

# Product(s)
- ------------

1 204B-BLACK (Factory Refurbished)
Samsung SyncMaster 204B-Black - Flat panel monitor - TFT - 20.1

1 6L160M0 (Refurbished)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - Hard drive - 160 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-150 - 22-position plug - 7200 rpm - buffer: 8 MB

SUBTOTAL: 292.06
SALES TAX: 0.00
SHIPPING: 0.00

ORDER TOTAL: 292.06
Last edited by Zer0Ry0k0 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zer0Ry0k0
Beginner

Postby Zer0Ry0k0 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 am

Ohhhhh, there is some kind of post character limit.... I will try to shorten and fit it all.
-------
Allright, shortening was out of the question, I had allready taken only the relevant info out of the thread and when I started cutting I was taking out stuff that didn't need to leave before it could all fit. So I cut it into two =D

Some of the links on the first post are old, but they kinda get you started.... if they work at all. Maybe I will fix them later, but it's time for sleep now.
Zer0Ry0k0
Beginner

Return to LAN Parties