[Dead] Pitboss Game #3 Official Game Thread

[Dead] Pitboss Game #3 Official Game Thread

Postby Overload on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:59 pm

Pitboss Game #3 has begun.

Rules:
Game: Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword
Turn Timer: ~24 hours
Tech Trading: New Beyond the Sword option. (Votes were split so I literally flipped a coin.)
No Barbarians
No City Razing
Advanced Start: 300 points
Game Speed: Normal
Map Type: Inner Sea (balanced multiplayer map)
Conduct Rules: See this thread for the conduct rules. These are very important rules so please be sure to read them!

Civstats:
You can view the game on Civstats here.
Everybody must register their leader on Civstats! In order to register your leader on Civstats, you need to create an account or log in, and then go to the link above and click "Register Your Leader". Choose your leader from the list and enter the password "3" without quotes.

Civstats should be the primary method of sending diplomatic messages (the in-game one is very buggy and often messages come up blank for the receiver. If you do not register your leader on Civstats, you will be unable to read your diplomatic messages. Civstats also provides new-turn email notification so you know when to take your next turn.

Players:
1. Greg (OverloadUT) - Montezuma of the Aztecs
2. Rob (Studlybob) - Darius I of Persia
3. Alec (e3_Jeb) - Huayna Capac of Inca
4. Samantha (Michi) - Tokugawa of Japan
5. Sean (ThePumaman) - Boudica of the Celts
6. Derek (Popnfresh) - Suleiman of the Ottoman Empire
7. Dan (Dandra) - Gandhi of India
8. Elizabeth (Dahanese) - Kublai Kahn of Mongolia

How to connect:
I strongly recommend using my Pitboss Launcher. It allows you to only enter the details once and just run a simple shortcut from then on that launches Civ and joins the server for you. However, do not use the launcher the very first time you log in, as you will need to set your player password, which the launcher will screw up. To join the server manually, just launch Beyond The Sword and join it as a "Direct IP" game. Here are the settings:
Server Address: home.apartment167.com
Player Name: Please use your real name, or the handle you use here. Do not change your name during the course of the game.
Game Password: There is none.
Player Password: You will set this the first time you log in. Note that the Launcher will not work properly the very first time because the game will ask you to choose your password. It's very important that you set a password so people don't accidentally log in to your civ.
Leader Number: Choose the number that corresponds to your leader. The list of players above is in the proper order so just choose the number that you are in that list.
Mod: You will need to choose "Beyond the Sword: (none)" from the mod list in order to make it launch the correct executable.

Important info about advanced start:
This game has advanced start turned on, with a starting 300 points. This means that the first time you log in, you will be looking at the advanced start interface. If you have never played an advance start game, I strongly recommend that you quickly start a single player custom game with the option turned on. There is no "undo" and it's sometimes not entirely clear what some of the buttons do. Note that there is an "automated improvements" button which simply has the AI choose everything for you.
Last edited by Overload on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Overload on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:18 pm

Oh yeah, I'm in of course and playing random!

Also, Alec's email bounced; does anyone know what it is now? Or just tell him about this thread.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm in

Postby Studlybob on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Civ doesn't matter too much to me. I'm happy to play Random.
3SPN 'The World Wide L33ter In Sports'
Studlybob
Better Than Average

Postby e3_Jeb on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Have no fear; I got here by my lonesome!! And in keeping with tradition I too will be playing a random civ (let's just hope I don't randomly start next to Egypt again).

- Alec
The Token Bi-Racial Kid...
e3_Jeb
Godlike!

Postby Michi on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Since I don't have to worry about being a real man, I will not be choosing random. For irony's sake, I'd like to play as Japan.
Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Postby ThePumaman on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:07 am

Gimme some random action up in here.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby dahanese on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:47 am

fuck i'm a real man. RANDOM FOR LIFE.
dahanese
N00b
N00b

I'm in

Postby Dandra on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Real Men choose pacifists. Give me The Mahatma.
“Get used to it Jeffery. We’re living life on the edge now! Women will often strike us!”
- John Lithgow, ’20 Good Years’
Dandra
Weaksauce

Postby PopnFresh on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:37 pm

I'd like to hop on the random bandwagon, plz
PopnFresh
Kikkoman

Postby ThePumaman on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:09 pm

So, how did everyone enjoy their first turn yesterday?
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Just for that I'm not starting it until tomorrow.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ThePumaman on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:29 pm

You're a mean man. Also, are we doing the new "accelerated start" thingy? Because I imagine it'd make the first few turns a lot more enjoyable.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Ohhh yeah I forgot about that. I really wanted to do that with this game. I DEEM IT SO.

Does anyone have any idea at all about what a good number of points is to start with? I might just have to wait until I'm home tonight to experiment with different numbers.

Also, I want "no city razing" turned on. Unless there's a huge outcry right now I'll be turning it on. I think city razing makes wars far less interesting and multiplayer doesn't provide the same penalty that balances it out in single player.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ThePumaman on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm on the fence about no city razing. On the one hand it makes the spoils of war a lot greater and eliminates some of the infuriating tactics we saw last time, but on the other it frees up that space for a new city to be built. I think if there was an in-between option, where razing would take 2 or 3 turns to completely destroy the city I'd be more for it. There's plenty of historical precedent for razing cities in short periods of time, but in terms of gameplay it's very disheartening.

I say no city razing, because razing all the improvements near the city (farms, towns, etc) does a pretty good job of destroying that city's productivity and growth. Not to mention it can also lead the city into starvation which is effectively the "slow raze" that I wanted.

/\/\ as for the accelerated start numbers, I think 300 is a good baseline that can net you a city with pop of 3, two cities, or a small city and a good military. Any more than that is just gravy.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Michi on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:01 am

ThePumaman wrote:So, how did everyone enjoy their first turn yesterday?

Hey you, if the first turn already happened I'd be really upset because I was away in western Japan for five days and would be behind. So you be quiet and be patient, mister!

Also no city razing. :(
Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Next

Return to Civilization 4