Pitboss Game #2

Pitboss Game #2

Postby Overload on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Apartment 167 Pitboss 2 has begun!
Apartment 167 Pitboss 2 at Civstats
Everybody should claim their civ at Civstats. If you do not have a civstats account, create one. Then go to the page linked above and click "Register your leader!" The password to register your leader is "123".

Connection Details:
Host: home.apartment167.com
Game password: [none]
This is a Direct IP game, so choose Direct IP from the multiplayer menu in Warlords.
I strongly suggest using my Pitboss Launcher tool. You can create a shortcut that will directly launch the game and connect to the server. Very handy!
When you connect for the first time, be sure you choose the correct civ and put a password on your civ!

Game Details:
This is a 12 player Pitboss game.
Map type: Pangaea
Game Speed: Normal
No Technology Trading

Special Diplomacy/Pitboss Rules:
Screenshot trading is not allowed.
Looking at someone else's screen is not allowed.
Other than that, play within the spirit of the game. Although this definition can vary from person to person, it's still a good guideline. Here are a couple examples:
OK:
* Offering help later in the game in exchange for someone's help right now.
* Making a deal with two different players that directly conflicts, and then siding up with the stronger player when the time comes.
* Lying about what your in-game situation is.
* Lying about what someone else said.
Not OK:
* Buying someone a soda for giving you a resource.
* Taking a screenshot of part of your land to prove that another player is lying.

Double moves during war time should be avoided whenever possible. They should definitely not be used to deliberately gain an advantage, and even when it's not to gain an advantage, try to take regular turns during war time.

Player List:
  • Greg (Overload) - Hannibal of Carthage
  • Rob (Studlybob) - Hatshepsut of Egypt
  • Sean (The Pumaman) - George Washington of America
  • Samantha (Michi) - Isabella of Spain
  • DanL (Dyluck) - Stalin of Russia
  • Derek (PopnFresh) - Genghis Khan of Mongolia
  • Brandon (PercyKittenz) - Mao of China
  • Ryan (Skullbane) - Bismarck of Germany
  • DanI (Dandra) - Asoka of India
  • Alec (e3_jeb) - Augustus of Rome
  • SeanT (maelstrom) - Montezuma of the Aztecs
  • Cailin (Nilliac) - Wang Kon of Korea
Last edited by Overload on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would like to play

Postby Studlybob on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 pm

I would like to join the next game. I believe I would be a good participant in the game. I enjoy diplomacy, I'm an active player and out of my last 10 month game I would be willing to bet that I didn't miss more then 3 or 4 turns the entire time.

There was some ugliness in the last game that I am unhappy to say was not handled correctly on my part such as a dispute about using "back to back turns" which was eventually laid to rest and some frustration at the end of the game. You may have heard about these things. I think I have learned a lot from my last game and feel that I am no longer a "drama queen".

As far as the options in the game I would prefer the following, but will play with whatever the group wants.

- I believe (edit)no(edit) Tech Trading would be a MUCH better way of playing and would ensure a much more tactical game.

- I think I'm in favor of keeping the game speed at normal as well.

- I would prefer not to play on Terra. In fact the fewer continents the better. I think the more land mass there is the more interesting the game is. It's no fun to sit on some continent by yourself or something and have no interaction until late in the game.

-I like defensive pacts but I'm not a big fan of permanent alliances.

- I would prefer not to have a turn limit to the game. Personally I like elimination only but I have serious doubts I would be able to win that vote. =) In fact the last game we played showed some interesting possibilities with things like the space race, points victory...etc. I just don't think the game should end because of a turn limit when there are other victory conditions that will prevent it from going on forever.

Again though, I'm happy doing whatever we end up doing.
Last edited by Studlybob on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3SPN 'The World Wide L33ter In Sports'
Studlybob
Better Than Average

Postby ThePumaman on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:35 pm

I too vote no turn limit, even though that may mean the game will go on forever and we'll have to decide a winner. Or just build the United Nations.

I too would like to play, because playing is fun, and not playing is boring. A Pangaea game mode could be fun, so there's still water but it's not an essential part of gameplay. I don't want to have to wait until I get galleons to make contact with the other players.

There was one more thing but I've forgotten. Probably something about letting me win.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Studlybob, you brought up a few things that I meant to say originally but I forgot about:

I would also like to play on Normal game speed. It lets you spend a little more time in each era and actually makes each level of military unit count. Our first game moved very fast such that often times military units became obsolete mere weeks (20 turns or so) after they had just been discovered!

We didn't use them in our first game, but I agree that permanent alliances should not be enabled. It's an option that isn't enabled by default anyway. There should only be 1 winner allowed! Even if two people team up the entire game, they should have to fight each other in the end!

And I also agree that no turn limit would be nice. In a typical civ game one of the other victory options (space race or united nations) happens before the timer runs out, but sometimes it doesn't. However, in the PTBS admin app, you can disable "Time" victory but not "Score" victory. I'm not sure what a "score" victory is in that context...

Oh and Studlybob, did you mean to say "I believe no Tech Trading would be a MUCH better way of playing"? Or did you actually want tech trading on?
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Michi on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:41 pm

I would be interested in joining a new game, if that's okay. I'm going to convince Sean to install Civ IV on the computer I use at home. :D
Michi
OMG GIRL ON TEH INTARNET

Postby Dyluck on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:43 pm

I like the game differences people are talking about. Count me in.
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby PopnFresh on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Derek dis diggidy down
PopnFresh
Kikkoman

I meant no tech trading

Postby Studlybob on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:49 pm

I meant that we should have no tech trading. It sounds like people agree for the most part so I won't copy and past the 2 page explanation of why I think it's better not to have it that I typed up on the other thread =)
Studlybob
Better Than Average

Postby PercyKittenz on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:30 pm

I've only played the tutorial of Civ 4, but I look forward to enjoying Emperor PopnFresh's oven-baked buttery treats.

Edit: Oh, lawd, I forgot about that icon.
PercyKittenz
Better Than Average

Postby Dyluck on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:56 am

I don't know which I would really prefer, but what are people's thoughts on playing an anonymous game?

Edit: My icon is in response to yours.
Dyluck
Godlike!

Postby Overload on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:02 am

I don't want to play anonymously.

I think the basic idea is an interesting one and I would be more inclined to if it weren't for a few factors. I think it would be too hard to keep it anonymous for the whole game. We can see when we each log in and it would be pretty simple to guess who is who (or at least narrow it down) based on what times people play. Also, as a game administrator, I need to know who each person is so I can yell at them when they don't log in for a couple turns. I expect we'll have a drop or two like we did last time and I'll need to know when to kick people out. It would also mean we would have to play with random civs, and I think people would like to choose.

Also, I don't trust Civ to keep it anonymous. We already know how buggy the diplomacy is and I wouldn't doubt that it lets slip the actual player name once in a while.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have to agree

Postby Studlybob on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:43 pm

As much as it pains me to do so, I would have to agree with Greg. The problem with anonymous is that the few people who are savvy enough to figure out who is who will have an advantage over other people.

Those people who pay more attention to the little details like the ones Greg mentions will get the advantage.

I would love to play a game where nobody was allowed to talk about the game outside of diplomacy and should always talk in character. To essentially force people to play realistically in a sense that in a real situation with a potential enemy you wouldn't give them every detail about exactly what you're civ is doing and researching. The problem with that and the reason I didn't mention it before is that if 2 or 3 people decide to go against the rule then they have a severe advanatage over people that don't.

My point being really that I think we have to be careful about what rules we set for the game that can't be enforced. We can't set it up so that the one person who breaks the rules not only gets away with it but also gets and advantage.
Studlybob
Better Than Average

Postby Skullbane on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Hey Im up for some civ4 gameplay. I tryed to get in on the first one but computer would refuse to connect. But now I tryed it and It worked fine with pitboss. If ya want me I would be more then happy to do this. Ryan Aka Roberts buddy want in on this game.
Skullbane
Weaksauce

Postby Dandra on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm in. And I have no prefference as to the rules
“Get used to it Jeffery. We’re living life on the edge now! Women will often strike us!”
- John Lithgow, ’20 Good Years’
Dandra
Weaksauce

Postby e3_Jeb on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:47 am

There. I posted.

- Alec

P.S. - Yeah, I'm in...
The Token Bi-Racial Kid...
e3_Jeb
Godlike!

Next

Return to Civilization 4