Names.

Discuss OLStats here

Names.

Postby Rokannon on Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:30 am

Hello, Overload. First of all, let me thank you for making OLStats - it is exactly what I was looking for.

I've got an UT2K4 server and people are playing on it sometimes from their own homes, sometimes from computer club. The problem is that OLSstats system identify them as different people and two players with the same nickname appears in player stat, despite using same username and password...

I got one question: how can I play from different computers using one(!) name in OLStats?

Thank you.
Rokannon

Re: Names.

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:49 am

Rokannon wrote:The problem is that OLSstats system identify them as different people and two players with the same nickname appears in player stat, despite using same username and password...

I just verified today that changing the CD key causes the player ID hash to change. Somehow I thought this was supposed to only be based on the password.

Postby Rokannon on Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:17 pm

this was supposed to only be based on the password.

Yes! That is exactly what i am trying to say! I mean there is no need to use 2 unique things (PlayerID and Password) while 1 unique thing is totaly enough to differ one player from another. It's a password.

Also I think even just a nick is good for it. For me as an admin, i would write in MOTD something like "Use your own nickname or be banned forever" or "Those who use other players nicks mill be banned forever"...
Oh! No. That's a bad idea because if one player desides to change his nick he would be to start new stat...

So there is only one right way in this question. As it was already said, the thing is to make only one player identification - by password.

Sorry, maybe I hade maden some mistakes in this text - I'm not a native speaker...
Rokannon

Postby Guest on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:14 pm

The stats name and password hash are generated by UT2004's logging system, so OLStats is simply passing them through. I wonder if it's possible for OLStats to generate a hash based only on the password. If that's possible then it's a security flaw for global stats accounts.

As for being able to track only by a player nickname, that's easy to do if you run UTStatsDB - there's an option to use that method.

Return to OLStats