OLSTATS CPU usage

Discuss OLStats here

OLSTATS CPU usage

Postby [HIC]Andrew on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:19 pm

I was using olstats on my servers (5 in all) and things were going great. Until 1 day i logged on to my site and found it had been suspended. I contacted the company and they told me it was due to using too much processing power. I was at 75% and i was supposed to be around 10%. I removed everything from my site that i thought it could be except stats and the forums. It still didn't drop. When i removed the stats everything went back to where its supposed to be (in their eyes).

What I am wondering is, How can i reduce the amount of procceses olstats uses. or What would be the best way of getting them back on.

When i first loaded the program I had the log files sending wrong so i know they build up and lagg a server after awhile. Can I have the logs build up send them to my home system then post the results on my website? or Is all the proccesing power used when generating the page.

on the server side HTML WAS off - we were only exporting RAW Logs.

Any Ideas on how to get the program back on my site without using to much CPU power would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the stats page that we have generated. As you will see we have used it alot. (most played server in UT2k4, and i think these stats had somethin to do with it) http://www.helliscoming.com/utstatsdb/u ... /index.php
[HIC]Andrew
Weaksauce

Postby [HIC]Andrew on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:27 pm

Oh if you notice there have been nearly 12,000 people that have been recorded on our servers. I know alot of people check out their stats on here too.

check out the overall totals.

http://www.helliscoming.com/utstatsdb/u ... totals.php

Im pretty proud of having very succesful servers and would like to think the stats had something to do with it.
[HIC]Andrew
Weaksauce

Postby [HIC]Andrew on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:22 pm

actually A better question might be How have you guys set it up. If its pointing to your website does your webspace provider have a problem with your CPU usage? If not, How are you keeping it down? Or who are you using as a provider (dedicated server?).

The bill for my webspace provider is due up next month so if I can find someone else that wouldn't have the CPU usage problem, I would go their, You could probably get some deal through an affiliate program if you direct me to them. HEHE
[HIC]Andrew
Weaksauce

Postby Overload on Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Well, my first reaction was to say to turn off HTML logging. But I see that you've already done that. Might want to confirm that it's off on all your servers...

The high CPU usage is most likely not caused by OLStats itself. However, on very long games, OLStats does start to use up more and more CPU usage. I have found this to be a significant problem when playing games with fraglimits over 600, but it's never been a problem with "normal" length games. Also, that problem might only exist if HTML logging is turned on, I'm not sure.

So the most likely thing is that it's UTStatsDB or the UT2004 servers themselves that's causing it. Have you tried turning off all UTStatsDB completely (don't even let users view the pages) and seeing if the CPU usage goes down? If it doesn't, then it's the UT2004 servers. If it does though, it could quite possibly be UTStatsDB. If you are getting a TON of page hits, then simply all the traffic to UTStatsDB could be doing it. On the other hand, if you have games finishing a lot, it could be the parser that's doing it. Seems like the only way to figure out exactly what it is would be through trial and error.

As for my server: We actually rent a full dedicated server, so my host does not care what my CPU usage is, as no one else is hosted on the same machine.

I use http://www.servepath.com - but dedicated servers are not cheap. We pay $200 a month.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [HIC]Andrew on Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:43 am

Thank you very much for the support. I will try these ideas out. I do have to say that their are alot of games played on the shady midget (CTF server) that would have more then 600 frags. We play for 20 minutes or until 1 team reaches 10. often times the 2 top players will have scores in the 400's (sometime 500) and with 14 players the scores go down from there.

I will however try the other ideas you gave me there. I will be switching webhosts anyway next month due to problems the last couple days. and i thought you must be on a dedicated server. I am curious what you run on this dedicated server. You can PM me if you want to give out that kind of info. I'm just thinking i rent 5 game servers, 1 website (currently) and a ts server. wondering if i can go to a dedicated box and do it cost effectively and find the location i need.
[HIC]Andrew
Weaksauce

Return to OLStats