New "Poll" block!

New webpage features and such will be announced here

Do you like the way the new poll block works?

Yes!
100%
No!
No votes
I don't care!
No votes

Total votes : 4

New "Poll" block!

Postby Overload on Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:46 pm

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and this morning I decided to get off my ass and actually do it! I created a completely new block to replace the old "poll" block that appeared on the right side of the main page. On first inspection, it may look like the same thing, but the functionality is very different.

See, the new block displays the latest poll that has been created in the forums, no matter who created it! So if you create a poll in the forums, it will appear on the front page of Apartment 167 as long as someone does not create a newer one. This gives polls a little extra attention, and also moves more of the site's core functionality to the forums, which I think is a step in the right direction, because the forums are much more powerful than php-nuke's built in "comment" system.

Rock on!

Also, I created this new forum for us admins to post announcements about new features or significant changes to the site. Only mods can post to it, but anyone can reply.

Furthermore I modified the OLHome module (the front page) to display if a new post has a poll attached to it. If a topic does have a poll, it puts [ Poll ] in front of the topic name. It only does this for the first post in that topic, replies do not get the [ Poll ] notice.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Overload on Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:56 pm

Oh yeah, also:

After you vote on the poll, the block will display the results of the poll whenever you visit, so you can easily see the updated results without having to actually go in to the forums. And the little bars change colors depending on how long they are. w00t.
Sig Under Consutrction
Overload
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ThePumaman on Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:41 pm

I like how you can't vote on the main page, forcing you to go to the actual thread and read it.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Postby ThePumaman on Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:47 pm

Nevermind about the button thing. I just found out that I am wrong.
ThePumaman
Godlike!

Return to Webpage announcements